Is the maker of Pmags. These self powering electronic ignitions are single module units that mount entirely in the magneto location on the engine, and have an internal alternator that self powers the system above some nominal RPM. They do require power from a battery (usually ship's power) to provide spark for engine starting and low RPM, about 900 or less?
They are very popular with the RV crowd, and I have one on my RV-8 and my Thorp T-18.
They have variable timing, and are nominally set to 0 degree BTC for starting. Then they have an RPM based advance, and a manifold pressure timing control as well.
Cockpit control and monitoring units are available.
These are for use on experimental aircraft only.
I notice less RPM drop with the Pmag running during a mag check, than when the magneto is on. Also, the engine idles smoother and lower RPM idle is possible without fear of the engine stopping with a light wood prop.
These units had an early history of some failures, but improvements have been steady and successful. I've certainly had more mag trouble than Pmag trouble, but that could be because my mags were old...
On the other hand, my son is cautious, and prefers magnetos.
- by Chris Thomas 28 Aug 2018 13:33 One Design View the latest post Replies 12 Views 6742
- by One Winged Junkie 11 Aug 2018 09:09 Horizon employee steals Q400 and does aerobatics View the latest post Replies 1 Views 432
- by One Winged Junkie 10 Aug 2018 13:54 Alliance Air Falcon 20 - (TX Operator) Querétaro Airport (QRO/MMQT) View the latest post Replies 1 Views 449
- by SHIPCHIEF 22 Jul 2018 18:27 M9F Magneto View the latest post Replies 5 Views 656
- by One Winged Junkie 22 Jul 2018 17:54 Convair 340 Pretoria S.Africa, 19 Injured, 1 Fatal 7/10/18 View the latest post Replies 1 Views 491
- by One Winged Junkie 19 Jul 2018 08:11 Another crash with Dean Aviation 4 fatal - Miami View the latest post Replies 1 Views 510
The plain magneto ignition suffers from a number of problems, however it is tried-and-true. Let's discuss this new technology and how it applies to us.