Is the maker of Pmags. These self powering electronic ignitions are single module units that mount entirely in the magneto location on the engine, and have an internal alternator that self powers the system above some nominal RPM. They do require power from a battery (usually ship's power) to provide spark for engine starting and low RPM, about 900 or less?
They are very popular with the RV crowd, and I have one on my RV-8 and my Thorp T-18.
They have variable timing, and are nominally set to 0 degree BTC for starting. Then they have an RPM based advance, and a manifold pressure timing control as well.
Cockpit control and monitoring units are available.
These are for use on experimental aircraft only.
I notice less RPM drop with the Pmag running during a mag check, than when the magneto is on. Also, the engine idles smoother and lower RPM idle is possible without fear of the engine stopping with a light wood prop.
These units had an early history of some failures, but improvements have been steady and successful. I've certainly had more mag trouble than Pmag trouble, but that could be because my mags were old...
On the other hand, my son is cautious, and prefers magnetos.
- by drewhbennett10 Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 am SR-300 - Aircraft Plans - Ray Mort - AVT Engineering View the latest post Replies 1 Views 30
- by One Winged Junkie Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:15 pm FS: LUSCOMBE 8E/F View the latest post Replies 1 Views 99
- by One Winged Junkie Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:34 pm A340 on fire - Frankfurt - 6/11/18 View the latest post Replies 1 Views 104
- by One Winged Junkie Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am CE: 421B - 6/5/18 - (MYER), South Eleuthera, Bahamas View the latest post Replies 1 Views 108
- by mbouwser23 Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 am One Design Located in NC View the latest post Replies 1 Views 113
- by Upsidedown Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:15 pm Whirlwind propeller shake View the latest post Replies 14 Views 5654
The plain magneto ignition suffers from a number of problems, however it is tried-and-true. Let's discuss this new technology and how it applies to us.