An Atlas Air Boeing 747-800 freighter on behalf of Cathay Pacific, registration N856GT performing freight flight CX-86 from Hong Kong (China) to Anchorage,AK (USA), was in the initial climb out of Hong Kong's runway 07R around 23:45L (15:45Z) being handed off from tower to departure when the crew initiated a premature right hand turn towards Lantau Island climbing over terrain rising up to 1500 feet MSL below safe altitude. The aircraft subsequently turned onto a heading parallel to the runway already past the island, then joined the departure route again and continued to Anchorage for a landing without further incident.
Residents on Lantau Island reported, just before midnight they were shaken out of bed by a low flying aircraft, that came very close to hit the mountains near the Discovery Bay Tunnel (DB tunnel) connecting the north and south of Lantau Island.
- by One Winged Junkie Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 pm IO 540 K1E5 300HP 2458 SNEW View the latest post Replies 3 Views 338
- by One Winged Junkie Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 am ACK E-04 ELT 406/121.5 View the latest post Replies 1 Views 67
- by Guicensoni Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:02 am Whirlwind propeller shake View the latest post Replies 6 Views 231
- by One Winged Junkie Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 pm Close call Atlas 747-8 HKG September 24th View the latest post Replies 1 Views 106
- by One Winged Junkie Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 pm Air France 66- A380 engine failure mid flight View the latest post Replies 1 Views 101
- by Slick540 Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:32 am IAC competition in YAK-55 View the latest post Replies 2 Views 378
The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident the United States. The NTSB determines the probable cause of the accidents and issues safety recommendations aimed at preventing future accidents. In addition, the NTSB carries out special studies concerning transportation safety and coordinates the resources of the Federal Government and other organizations to provide assistance to victims and their family members impacted by major transportation disasters.