Passenger video from inside the airplane
The South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) says that the Convair 340 airplane that crashed in Wonderboom on Tuesday had a certificate of airworthiness which was due to expire in August.
One person was killed on Tuesday, and a second person died on Wednesday following the crash.
The SACAA said it had assigned a team of investigators to probe the cause of the accident that happened soon after take-off. The aircraft was due to depart for the Aviodrome air museum in the Netherlands on Wednesday.
"The investigation is still at an early stage and therefore some details are yet to be verified," said SACAA spokesperson Kabelo Ledwaba. Ledwaba said the SACAA would like to be given the time and space to thoroughly investigate the cause of the accident.
"Furthermore, the SACAA wishes to point out that investigations can vary in complexity and may at times take a significant time to complete. However, a preliminary report will be issued within 30 days of the accident," he said.
Following the accident on Tuesday, emergency services could not immediately provide clarity on the number of people on board the airplane when it crashed.
According to SACAA, the plane had 19 people on board, which consisted of 16 passengers, two pilots and a flight engineer.
- by Chris Thomas 28 Aug 2018 13:33 One Design View the latest post Replies 12 Views 6650
- by One Winged Junkie 11 Aug 2018 09:09 Horizon employee steals Q400 and does aerobatics View the latest post Replies 1 Views 395
- by SHIPCHIEF 22 Jul 2018 18:27 M9F Magneto View the latest post Replies 5 Views 620
- by One Winged Junkie 22 Jul 2018 17:54 Convair 340 Pretoria S.Africa, 19 Injured, 1 Fatal 7/10/18 View the latest post Replies 1 Views 461
The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident the United States. The NTSB determines the probable cause of the accidents and issues safety recommendations aimed at preventing future accidents. In addition, the NTSB carries out special studies concerning transportation safety and coordinates the resources of the Federal Government and other organizations to provide assistance to victims and their family members impacted by major transportation disasters.
- mpf55.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 458 times
- mpf44.jpg (103 KiB) Viewed 458 times
- mpf33.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 458 times
- mpf3.jpg (155 KiB) Viewed 458 times
- mpf2.jpg (99 KiB) Viewed 458 times
- monoplaneforum1.png (621 KiB) Viewed 458 times
- monoplaneforum.png (562 KiB) Viewed 458 times