Repairs, Upgrades and things to look for.

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum credits the Laser 200 for bringing about a new generation of aerobatic aircraft
Holtzy822
MPF Competitor

Re: Repairs, Upgrades and things to look for.

Post by Holtzy822 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:30 pm

davevon wrote:I agree, just covering the ailerons with plywood would add a lot of weight exactly where you don't want it. I guess it might be possible to re-engineer the ailerons to use maybe 1/32" ply and keep them the same weight. Going to that extreme you might as well go with molded carbon ailerons.

My question is why would you consider the torque tube drive system? In a new build I think the disadvantages would outweigh the advantages... What are your plans for the aileron hinges? If you're thinking torque drive tube just attached to the inboard rib of the aileron you'll need to have molded carbon aileron to be stiff enough. The flexibility of the wing/aileron system plays an important role in how high or low your flutter speed will be...

The longer ailerons, especially constant chord ailerons should have less drag per roll rate vs. the shorter, tapered ailerons. They will have more drag as the roll rate goes up. They will also noticeably improve low speed roll rate. Constant chord may be more of an advantage than just longer ailerons. The tip of the wing is where you'll get the most advantage from the ailerons.

My Laser is setup for twin torpedo fuel tanks under the fuse. There are square vertical tubes welded in the lower fuse to accept square insert tubes of the tanks. There is a fitting in the belly of the fuse that can be capped for the tanks to attach to. The fitting is plumbed to the auxiliary port of the Christen wobble pump. Pretty simple, I haven't had the need to try it yet... The Staudacher's and Panzl's all have fuel in the wings.

Before committing to anything on the wing you may want to get a hold of Tom Edwards in Colorado too. He has a lot of Laser wing and retrofit experience.

Dave
Ok so fabric covered it is! I'd also like to do pushrod ailerons but honestly, I don't know how to go about building the system. I understand the basic idea of it, just no idea how to build it.

As for the length, I'll be doing 107" (thank you for the explanation). I'll look at doing constant chord but really like the shape of the original wing.

Thanks for the explanation, this is all new to me and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it right the first time.

davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:35 pm

When Tom sets up for the constant chord ailerons he moves the rear spar. Which may need to move forward just because of the 26% hinges.

Dave

Holtzy822
MPF Competitor

Post by Holtzy822 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Do you have any contact info for Tom? I would like to speak to him about it. Maybe he also has drawings or even just pictures of a pushrod system.

davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:45 pm

I contacted Tom, he's is backed up 2-3 years with very high end Laser projects. Through the years he's developed some unique procedures and setups which are proprietary for his customers. Sorry, no plans or pictures.

A One Design or Laser 2300 setup should get you what you need in the wing along with hinges. Here's a shot of a Laser aileron pushrod drive system.
Aileron control.JPG
Aileron control.JPG (145.38 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Dave

Holtzy822
MPF Competitor

Post by Holtzy822 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Awesome thank you! I just happen to have one design plans in the hanger along with a welded fuselage (why didn't I just build that, also its for sale). Ill take a look at them when I'm building the system. As for the actual ailerons themselves, Ill just have to go with standard tapered ailerons unless I can talk to len ruralson (builds wings for redbull racers and built the staudacher wings for Jon S.) about doing constant chord. He happens to live about 10 minutes away from me.

davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:41 pm

If you look inside Len's Laser the picture I posted should look familiar :-)

Dave

Guicensoni
MPF Competitor

Post by Guicensoni » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:18 am

https://youtu.be/rY4kcdkbKu8

This is a short video of last my last flight, as i'd comment i was experiencing aileron roll tendency, i tried to change spades position but it doesn't works like I wanted. So I decided to put a tab on the left aileron, just after the spade brace, it works perfectly. Any suggestions??? Should I leave like this or insist in the spades positions?

Dexws
MPF Student

Post by Dexws » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:31 am

Usually you try to have the airplane balanced, i.e. no roll, without spades but maybe it is better not to fly without spades with the laser since spades are balancing the ailerons weight. Other thing you can do is to check whether the spades are parallel so if there is a roll it is not because of them.
Nice video, seems the ailerons are very light.
Ciao

Alberto

Guicensoni
MPF Competitor

Post by Guicensoni » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:48 am

I flew without spades, the roll is the same. When I hold the stick centered the airplane flies straight and show no tendency, but if i release the stick it runs ro the right and rolls right... with spades, same thing happens... the slamm tab is working, but i still curious to discover what is causing this...

Dexws
MPF Student

Post by Dexws » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 am

It happened something similar to me: my pitts flies straight with the stick centered but if I release the stick it moves to the left slightly and the aircraft rolls to the left, with or without spades. It did it also after a complete rigging so I ended in placing a rubber strip P shaped (the ones used for window sealing) about 8 inch long under the trailing edge of the right lower aileron. Small asymmetries are possible or a bit of twist in ailerons could cause it

Alberto