Hi MPF! We are looking for a Moderator / Content Creator
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=249

Laser "3 point" angle.

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum credits the Laser 200 for bringing about a new generation of aerobatic aircraft
Billyto
MPF Rising Star

Laser "3 point" angle.

Post by Billyto » 07 Oct 2016 16:46

I changed the tires of my Laser 300 to the 4.00x5 lamb tires and to the small 3.5 inch tailwheel to save weight.
When I flew the plane with the old tires, didn't like the aircraft attitude since it was to easy to do a 3 pointer (I am more of a wheels landing guy). Visibility was awsome, one of the best I seen in unlimited monoplanes.

Initially with big tires and tailwheel, aircraft sat at 10 degrees. Now sits at 11. I have seen 10 allso in the Extra.

What do you guys have out there?

davevon
MPF Competitor

Re: Laser "3 point" angle.

Post by davevon » 15 Oct 2016 20:44

Interesting, I'll have measure mine. I have the Lamb tires and a 5" tail wheel.

I fly off of a soft grass runway so I always 3 point. I found the ground angle too shallow for a full stall landing, the tail wheel made contact long before the mains touched.

On the later versions of the Pitts S-2A they lengthened the main gear by 2" to lower the landing speed.

Dave

djpacro
MPF Student

Re: Laser "3 point" angle.

Post by djpacro » 16 Oct 2016 03:48

I've seen Lasers with different main landing gear lengths. Ours had tall gear, one I flew a little while back was much shallower deck angle.

The longer gear for the S-2A was to provide ground clearance for the aileron spades under the lower wing. My S-2A was an earlier SN to which the previous owner had fitted spades - I was always very wary of bank angle close to the ground in a crosswind.
Regards,
DJP

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic