• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Glass Fiber Wing Top Layer

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum credits the Laser 200 for bringing about a new generation of aerobatic aircraft
youngman1
MPF Rising Star

Glass Fiber Wing Top Layer

Post by youngman1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:45 am

Hi Guys

I've got some repairs to do on my wing and have noticed that it has a glass layer on top of the ply... this isn't in the original plans but i'm guessing it does a pretty good job of stiffening the wing up!

I think this is also done on the one designs? Does anybody else have this on their wing and if so what sort of difference does it make?

Cheers

N23LZ
MPF Rising Star

Re: Glass Fiber Wing Top Layer

Post by N23LZ » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:36 am

On most all of these types , the fiberglass is just to protect the plywood from the environment.
It is a very lightweight 'deck cloth''.
There is little to no strength consideration.

davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:04 pm

A lot of them also have fabric on the wing skins. I think the reasoning at the time was light weight, easy to do and easy to remove for repairs.

I've heard of carbon under the skins to add strength.

The fiberglass may be easier to get a glass finish too.

Dave

Dexws
MPF Rising Star

Post by Dexws » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi
I started the restoration of a Stephen Akro and I plan to cover the wing with a bidirectional cloth of fiberglass in order to increase the stiffness particularly in torsion (you know the flutter problem of the Akro)
I didn't perform any assessment yet but according to a friend of mine who did it on a cap 21 (similar wing area) the extra weight is around 7-8 kg but it is worthwhile doing it
Ciao

Alberto
Italy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic