• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

My first Yak

I really like this quote from wiki.. "The resulting design, the Yakovlev Yak-55, was a single-engined all-metal cantilever monoplane. The aircraft's wing is mounted midway up the fuselage and is of thick, symmetrical section to aid inverted flight"
One Winged Junkie
Your Friendly Moderator

Re: My first Yak

Post by One Winged Junkie » Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am

SHIPCHIEF wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 pm
Thanks. If the Yak55 is known as "The Laser Yak" then I think it should have wheel pants like a Laser!
Plus, I want to know if these pants will increase top speed by 10 mph like they do on a Thorp or an RV? Yak55 is not particularly fast, so +10 would be most welcome for cross country flight to a contest.
Being black Carbon Fiber on a black plane is all the better!
The pants do make it look mean! Paint job is also nice. I follow a couple of guys on Instagram who post Yak pics and videos, definately gets my attention.

SHIPCHIEF
MPF Competitor

Post by SHIPCHIEF » Wed May 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Acro Camp is just around the corner.
I completed the condition inspection and cleaned the the engine compartment. While doing the compression check, I noticed the automotive spark plug conversion; the inserts in the head are threaded deeper than the NGK BR6HS spark plug reach of 1/2". My compression tester thread in adapter has a deeper reach and the threads were goo-ing up on the combustion deposits of the un-used threads in the upper cylinders. I'm wondering if there is a better spark plug that will thread fully into the head insert and possibly have an extended tip for better firing of the fuel charge etc..Meanwhile, sticking with the accepted plug.

SHIPCHIEF
MPF Competitor

Post by SHIPCHIEF » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm

I attended IAC67 Acro Camp at KEPH June 8,9,10.
I arrived with 11.5 hrs in the Yak55, and flew only once per day. Three 15 minute sessions with critique & instruction are offered per day, but I was not "G'd up" enough to take advantage of them all.
I started with rolls and looping maneuvers, pulling 4 G's and a couple of spins. The second day really improved my 'rolls from inverted' and point rolls. The last day I was flying a score-able Sportsman Known routine, pulling over 5 G's. The Critique / teaching team told me that I fly well for so few hours, that I need to back off on the G's and work up my tolerance.
I say Yak55 makes a pilot look good.
I bought a digital Carbon Monoxide detector and use it while operating the Yak. I smell exhaust, and do get readings above the preset alarm point of 35 ppm at start up and run-up. In cruise and holding for the aerobatic box readings of 6-10 ppm are common.
I've purchased new style exhaust clamps, shims and gasket material from M14P in Arizona, the old clamps are rusting out and the gasket/shim packs are worn, although I couldn't find any glaring leaks.
I'm seeking a complete M14P tool kit...required for checking tightness of intake & exhaust tube seals, setting mag timing and all those other frequently required maintenance tasks.

One Winged Junkie
Your Friendly Moderator

Post by One Winged Junkie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Congrats on the Sportsman routine, must have been fun...

SHIPCHIEF wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm
I attended IAC67 Acro Camp at KEPH June 8,9,10.
I arrived with 11.5 hrs in the Yak55, and flew only once per day. Three 15 minute sessions with critique & instruction are offered per day, but I was not "G'd up" enough to take advantage of them all.
I started with rolls and looping maneuvers, pulling 4 G's and a couple of spins. The second day really improved my 'rolls from inverted' and point rolls. The last day I was flying a score-able Sportsman Known routine, pulling over 5 G's. The Critique / teaching team told me that I fly well for so few hours, that I need to back off on the G's and work up my tolerance.
I say Yak55 makes a pilot look good.
I bought a digital Carbon Monoxide detector and use it while operating the Yak. I smell exhaust, and do get readings above the preset alarm point of 35 ppm at start up and run-up. In cruise and holding for the aerobatic box readings of 6-10 ppm are common.
I've purchased new style exhaust clamps, shims and gasket material from M14P in Arizona, the old clamps are rusting out and the gasket/shim packs are worn, although I couldn't find any glaring leaks.
I'm seeking a complete M14P tool kit...required for checking tightness of intake & exhaust tube seals, setting mag timing and all those other frequently required maintenance tasks.

SHIPCHIEF
MPF Competitor

Post by SHIPCHIEF » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:25 am

I replaced the top 2 exhaust seals between the titanium exhaust pipe segments, one on each side. The exhaust pipe on the right side serves 5 cylinders, the left side 4. The old carbon steel clamps, crush sleeves and shims were in pretty rough and rusty shape. Carbon Monoxide readings appeared to be lower after the change, so I ordered the other 4 clamp/seal sets. I installed these today.
I competed in the 2017 Apple Cup Aerobatic Competition at Ephrata WA last week end, and got Last Place.
I got turned around on the first two flights and Hard Zeroed all of the maneuvers after the errors. Enough to win the (new for this contest) Hard Zero award! For those of you who have competed in IAC contests, you will understand that a change in the "Contest Wind" from what you are accustomed, can be a real hazard. As a newbie who only experienced wind from the South at this airport, I "flew" right into a disaster when I over rotated a 1-1/4 turn spin, then flew "out" to fix it. Good plan, but All Maneuvers after that were flown to the "Wrong Wind".
I still had a blast, and Judge Dave Watson was kind enough to score all my HZ's in the comment section to let me know my flying was actually good! I did much better on the third flight, so I'll take that as a lesson and move on...
I'm getting a lot of vibration from the stock V530 propeller, which I reduced with a piece of tape on one blade. Now I have access to a Dyna Vibe balancer set up on a frame I fabricated to the gear case. Next 'days off' I will run it to balance the prop and check calibration on the VDO tachometer.
Over-All, I am Very Impressed with "Honey Badger" my Yak-55M.
Perhaps you've seen the Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0wi7Ugct1w or the more 'risqué' version narrated by Randall.
So I call my Yak55 "Honey Badger" because it doesn't give a Sh** what I do to it in flight. It just keeps going and makes me look good!
IAC aerobatics is a very 'Mental Game', much more than flying good aerobatic maneuvers. It's all about remembering what you are supposed to be flying, monitoring where you are in the 'Box' observing your progress and making corrections going forward.
I've been trying Zep Big Orange in a spray bottle to wipe the oil mist off the airframe with paper rags, but I got some Lemon Pledge for the canopy, and it turns out to be a very effective bug and oil/dirt remover! Over on the Vansairforce forum, Lemon Pledge seems to score well when compared against Plexus so, at a fraction of the cost I gave it a try. Little did I know it would be so handy on the airframe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic