Giles 202 SN 15 Build

Giles G-202 is an unlimited-level aerobatic airplane designed by Richard Giles.
DealsGapCobra
MPF Student

Giles 202 SN 15 Build

Post by DealsGapCobra » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 am

There seems to be some interest in seeing my progress, or possibly watching my pain, as I slowly work on my project.

I was lucky enough to find a mostly unfinished kit (the horizontal stabilizer, elevators and one aileron were closed) and the work that was done was structurally sound. Here are some photos from when we picked it up.

This is the bottom half of the fuselage

Last edited by DealsGapCobra on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob

DealsGapCobra
MPF Student

Re: Giles 202 SN 15 Build

Post by DealsGapCobra » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:39 am

Work that I have completed includes closing the second aileron and both wings (added a smoke oil tank to the right wing). The wings bushings and mounts have been installed setting the incidence and dihedral and now I am working on the fuselage.

The kit was 'complete' when I bough it and, so far I have only found a few missing pieces, all of which were easily manufactured. Two of the parts that I needed to make were the right and left top half for the rear seat shoulder harness brackets. I made a wood mold and vacuum bagged the parts from, if memory serves, 12 plys of carbon fiber on one end tapering to 4 on the other.

The challenge in this is getting the part to fit the mold and get a good corner...I got lucky!

Here the new top parts are mated with the existing bottoms and ready to bond in place. The parts I made are the ones towards the inside.

This is the final product installed in the top half of the fuselage.
Rob

davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Where did you find a kit like that???

How long have you had it?

I have heard rumors of a couple of kits in France. Their s/n would be at the end of production I think.

I had a deposit on a kit back when they were selling kits. A divorce ended that plan...

Dave

DealsGapCobra
MPF Student

Post by DealsGapCobra » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Dave,

I bought it back late 2009 and just got lucky finding one that was complete (all the parts) but mostly unfinished. One evening I was at a friends helping him with his Berkute project thinking "Man I would really would like a Giles" but I had searched a few years earlier with no success. That night (Saturday) I found this kit on Barnstormers, made the deal on Monday and picked it up the following Saturday.

I guess the original builder just lost interest and sold it to two brothers. After getting it home they decided that it was a bigger project than they were interested in tackling.

I have had some delays (typical story for projects like this) such as getting married, moving, etc. I really am enjoying the build but am ready to get it in the air!
Rob

davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Incredible find and perfect timing!

I keep an eye on Barnstormers for just such a find. Usually you're too late for the great deals...

Keep up the good work you'll have a great airplane!

Dave

One Winged Junkie
Your Friendly Moderator

Post by One Winged Junkie » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:06 pm

DealsGapCobra wrote:There seems to be some interest in seeing my progress, or possibly watching my pain, as I slowly work on my project.

I was lucky enough to find a mostly unfinished kit (the horizontal stabilizer, elevators and one aileron were closed) and the work that was done was structurally sound. Here are some photos from when we picked it up.

This is the bottom half of the fuselage

For someone such as myself that is only familiar with wood and fabric, can you explain what this picture I am seeing is exactly? It this all carbon fiber?

DealsGapCobra
MPF Student

Post by DealsGapCobra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:58 am

One Winged Junkie wrote:For someone such as myself that is only familiar with wood and fabric, can you explain what this picture I am seeing is exactly? It this all carbon fiber?
Yes, the entire plane is constructed of carbon fiber.
Rob