Welcome to the Laser section of the monoplane forum!

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum credits the Laser 200 for bringing about a new generation of aerobatic aircraft
davevon
MPF Competitor

Re: Welcome to the Laser section of the monoplane forum!

Post by davevon » 18 Sep 2016 20:19

Hi Jorge,

Actually I'm out out of town and just was somewhat near to a long time friend that has one and access to the others 8-)

I am very fortunate to realize a dream come true and live in an airpark with my hangar and airplane in my backyard! I taxi about 30 meters to the runway :P

Dave
Billyto
MPF Rising Star

Post by Billyto » 18 Sep 2016 22:08

Yes you are.... I have to drive 100 km from my house to stay away from Madrid TMA. I laught when I ear poeple complaining of the 30 nm radius class B restrictions in USA and look at my regional and see that basically all the way to 50 nm only 1000' agl is allowed and no vfr inside 10 nm... By the way that 1000' agl allso aplies to montains peaks of 7000' in the TMA. TMA here are class A.
Keep protecting (and doing a good job) protecting your pilots rights.
Akrodriver
MPF Student

Re: Hi

Post by Akrodriver » 17 Dec 2019 04:49

davevon wrote:
03 Sep 2016 00:22
Anthony-NYC wrote:Hi Dave, I really love the laser. Probably about 10 or so years ago when I wanted to first get into aerobatics I was looking at a laser for sale. Can you tell me what is the wing spar made out of?
My spar is layers of spruce. The picture will give you some idea.

Dave
Hi Dave,
I remember that plane. Many years ago, Charley Larkey flew it into Leeward Air Ranch one afternoon when I was visiting with Ray Parker.
Do you have more detailed plans of the sketch you posted for the main spar design? I have a set of plans that have six layers of 13/16 spruce.

Steve
davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » 17 Dec 2019 06:19

Hi Steve,

Sorry, I don't have any of the drawings/plans from my Laser... I believe that sketch is from the Z-200 "Laser" that Dave Pilkington did the design and plans for. Since Dave and Ray collaborated on various aspects I would guess my wing has that spar. My wing also has the 21012 airfoil which is very close to being symmetrical, unlike the original Laser/Stephens Acro 23012.

Charlie and Ray built this Laser for Charlie's attempt at making the World Team. Pretty sure it was built at Ray's.

I've attached a shot of my Laser in its early life sitting at Ray's place.

How do you know Ray? He and Dave Pilkington were very instrumental in refining the design for others.

Dave
Attachments
N100CL-1.jpg
N100CL-1.jpg (948.57 KiB)
Akrodriver
MPF Student

Post by Akrodriver » 24 Dec 2019 06:04

davevon wrote:
17 Dec 2019 06:19
Hi Steve,

Sorry, I don't have any of the drawings/plans from my Laser... I believe that sketch is from the Z-200 "Laser" that Dave Pilkington did the design and plans for. Since Dave and Ray collaborated on various aspects I would guess my wing has that spar. My wing also has the 21012 airfoil which is very close to being symmetrical, unlike the original Laser/Stephens Acro 23012.

Charlie and Ray built this Laser for Charlie's attempt at making the World Team. Pretty sure it was built at Ray's.

I've attached a shot of my Laser in its early life sitting at Ray's place.

How do you know Ray? He and Dave Pilkington were very instrumental in refining the design for others.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Thank you for the reply. It's too bad that you don't have the details of the box beam spar that is shown in an earlier sketch. I can't say for sure which spar is in the 100CL. Ray and I had not discussed the wood when he was giving me advice on building the components for the plane I am building. My current expertise is in mechanical engineering, but back then I was working as a precision machinist in the defense industry, so the fabrication of the metal parts has not been much of a challenge. I had a 3 AM east coast conversation with Dave Pilkington in Australia when I purchased my plans back in the day. Other than that no other correspondence. Since I have not built the wing or the aileron control system yet, I am looking for plans that utilize push rods in lieu of the torque tube design that came with the original plans
I have to run for now, but I will be posting pictures of my progress. Right now I am working on a glue press and assembly jig for the wing.
Talk soon.

Steve
davevon
MPF Competitor

Post by davevon » 24 Dec 2019 20:59

Steve,

Have you started your Laser wing?

I would suggest considering a Staudacher wing. Don't know if there are plans, but maybe Jon would produce a kit. Another option is that Greg Panzl could possibly build one for you.

If I were building a wood wing that would be the route I would go. Better ailerons, better hinges, box spar is lighter and I've been told by a few sources the snap characteristics are better. There are 4 Lasers that I know of that have Staudacher wings. After analyzing flight characteristics of all the top aerobatic airplanes, Charlie Wolfe copied the Staudacher airfoil for the Velox. It would add more performance and value to your Laser.

Just my 2 cents,

Dave
Akrodriver
MPF Student

Post by Akrodriver » 03 Jan 2020 04:14

davevon wrote:
24 Dec 2019 20:59
Steve,

Have you started your Laser wing?

I would suggest considering a Staudacher wing. Don't know if there are plans, but maybe Jon would produce a kit. Another option is that Greg Panzl could possibly build one for you.

If I were building a wood wing that would be the route I would go. Better ailerons, better hinges, box spar is lighter and I've been told by a few sources the snap characteristics are better. There are 4 Lasers that I know of that have Staudacher wings. After analyzing flight characteristics of all the top aerobatic airplanes, Charlie Wolfe copied the Staudacher airfoil for the Velox. It would add more performance and value to your Laser.

Just my 2 cents,

Dave
HI Dave,

I can't afford to have a wing built for me, besides that I want to build it myself. It would be nice though to find people who have documented some of the mods and updates. I have Jon Staudacher's contact information and I'll visit the Kimball's the next time I'm in FL. I've been away from it for so long, that my network has completely disappeared. But I am building it back up though. I met you right!? :lol:
Steve
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic