Oil Cooler Locations

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum credits the Laser 200 for bringing about a new generation of aerobatic aircraft
mbouwser23

Oil Cooler Locations

Post by mbouwser23 » 07 Sep 2019 09:16

Recently purchased a Laser with a AEIO-360. The aircraft is current seeing 210 in cruise and getting to 240s quickly in 15 mins of aerobatics. I am running Phillips 20W-50 and have tried Phillips 20W-60 with worse results.

It was suggested to me to run dual oil coolers. One in the front and the current one is the rear and this issue would be resolved. I am fortunate enough to have an extra oil cooler ready to go. I am wondering if anyone else has done this and where have you installed, hose routing, mounting, etc.
youngman1
MPF Competitor

Re: Oil Cooler Locations

Post by youngman1 » 08 Sep 2019 00:51

2 cooler installation shown here

https://www.pitts-special-team.de/Laser/4_4_engine.html

What is the current cooler setup? I'd start by taking a look at how well the current installation is working the airflow. There are plenty of aircraft out there that fail to maximise the cooling capacity of the cooler.

Plenty of Pitts/lasers out there with that engine running just one cooler.
djpacro
MPF Student

Re: Oil Cooler Locations

Post by djpacro » 08 Sep 2019 11:36

The first three Lasers built in Australia all had the oil cooler behind the seat for cg reasons from the first one.

We had a ram air scoop on the LH side just under the wing near the trailing edge and the outlet under the fuselage with a dam ahead of the hole - worked well in fairly hot ambient temperatures.

Later Laser shortened the front fuselage 4" to move the engine aft. It has the oil cooler behind the engine baffles top left side from memory.
Regards,
DJP
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic