Source for Laser Main Spar Wood

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum credits the Laser 200 for bringing about a new generation of aerobatic aircraft
Akrodriver
MPF Student

Source for Laser Main Spar Wood

Post by Akrodriver » 17 Dec 2019 04:24

Hi folks,
Do any of you know of a reliable source for Sitka spruce (preferred) or Douglas Fir? Have any of you built up a main spar?
Thank you!
Steve
Fauxpilot

Re: Source for Laser Main Spar Wood

Post by Fauxpilot » 26 Jan 2020 23:46

I’m surprised no one has responded to this yet. I’ve been lurking on this post, hoping for some answers. I’m also curious if there is a local source for grade A spruce (San Antonio).

I’m also wondering if the two long pieces of the spar need to be continuous or if they can be spliced. Aircraft Spruce doesn’t have anything longer than 24’. The bottom spar cap is slightly longer than that.
Akrodriver
MPF Student

Post by Akrodriver » 04 Feb 2020 05:38

I'm not sure how many people on this site are building a Laser or derivative there of.

According to the original spar dwg. by Clayton Stephens, there are to be no scarf joints within 72 inches of the spar center line and no scarf joints within 36 inches of each other. After trying a few different scenarios staying within the Stephens criteria, the magic minimum length is 19ft-6in. this will allow for one scarf joint in the first plank(aft face of spar) and the second plank to have one(1) 15:1 scarf joint on opposite sides of the center line. In order to build the plank layup, you will need just under 100 linear feet of 4/4 x 9.00 (TRUE) raw lumber.

This does not take in account the material for the rear spar.

Steve
youngman1
MPF Competitor

Post by youngman1 » 28 May 2020 02:36

Hello

For anyone interested I have a damaged Laser wing for sale. Requires a spar splice at one tip and a rib on the other side. I've also got the spruce required to repair.

It would really kill me to have to break it down as i know it would be a great start for somebody looking at building a Laser.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic